At OFG, we work smarter so you can spend more time doing what makes you happy!
How would you like to be paid for five days but only work four*?
Our colleagues’ wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do at OFG, so we’re always looking for new ways to improve everyone’s work/life balance. We’re taking part in a trial of the 4-Day Working Week, meaning that you could be working one day less a week (or equivalent).
4DWW will be rolled out within our school, when we have a full complement of staff, and within the next year – so there’s never been a more exciting time to join us #teamOFG!
Job title: Catering Teacher
Location: Oak Tree School, Truro, Cornwall
Salary: £35,000 per annum
Hours: 42.5 hours per week; Monday to Friday 8am – 4.30pm
Contract: Permanent, Term time only
UK Applicants only, we welcome ECT & ITT applicants.
Oak Tree School is a friendly and vibrant school with highly committed staff who want the best for all our students ensuring they are given the best education and opportunities possible. Due to developments and growth of the school we require a Catering Teacher to join our amazing team.
About the role
The ideal candidate will successfully set a vision and targets for pupil success and be confident in using their knowledge and expertise to monitor progress, give regular feedback and encouraging our young people to take a responsible and conscientious attitude to their own work and study.
- To secure high quality teaching, effective use of resources and improve standards of learning and achievement for your pupils in consultation with the Vocational Lead Teacher.
- Improve the quality of pupils’ learning in Food Technology/Catering.
- Contribute to the development, innovation and implementation of Food Technology/Catering.
- Have responsibility for a range of Food Technology/Catering classes and develop plans which identify clear targets and success criteria for your students.
- Teach a range of subjects as necessary to ensure the effective delivery of the school’s curriculum. Work may sometimes be undertaken outside the main teaching area – this may include classrooms across both Oregon and Darley buildings.
- To share the school’s responsibility to support and promote the learning, personal development and well-being of all students.
- Safeguard and promote the welfare of pupils and young people.
- To carry out the duties of a Food Technology teacher, including some provision for cover of absent teachers.
- To ensure Food Technology lessons are appropriately planned and implemented for a range of additional needs.
- To be responsible for teaching across all key stages.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a Food Technology Teacher, who wants to spend time developing creative learning opportunities for the most reluctant and troubled learners.
No two days are the same at Oak Tree School so we want Teachers who can work at pace to turn ‘can’t do’ into ‘want to’ and are motivated by working with pupils with complex needs. You will be motivated by your belief that every pupil can achieve and reach their potential.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working with pupils in a calm and engaging demeanour, whilst being resilient using an innovative style of teaching motivated by your belief that every pupil can achieve and reach their potential.
- Educated to degree level or be of Qualified Teacher Status
Whilst previous experience of working in an SEN environment would be desirable, excellent teaching skills and the right motivation, personal qualities and levels of resilience are just as important. All successful applicants will be expected to complete and competently use strategies taught within Crisis Prevention Intervention training which includes the use of physical restraint in order to keep pupils and adults safe.
Oak Tree School is a specialist provision positioned near the city of Truro in Cornwall. The school provides full-time specialist co-education for up to 135 pupils and young people aged 7 to 16 who experience social, emotional, mental health, communication difficulties and associated challenging behaviours. These pupils and young people often cannot cope, function or achieve within a mainstream environment. The aim is to provide a structured, nurturing approach, with pupils accessing a broad, balanced and engaging curriculum to meet their significant needs.
This opportunity is in Truro which is within commutable distance of Redruth, St Austell and surrounding areas.
We are part of Acorn Education and Care and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Why join Acorn Education & Care?
Your health and wellbeing are important to us, so you’ll get an exceptional reward package including:
- Life Assurance
- Pension scheme with options to increase your contributions
- “Your Wellbeing Matters” – access to a wide range of first-class mental health support services and physical health checks
And a market-leading benefit offering through our Flexible Benefits Platform, Vista, enables you to choose the package that’s right for you, including:
- A wide range of health, wellbeing, and insurance benefits
- 100’s of discount options valid in the UK and abroad
- Cycle to Work Schemes
- Electric Car Purchase Scheme
- Critical illness cover
And that’s not all, we place the outcomes of the pupils and vulnerable young adults in our services at the heart of everything we do, so you’ll wake every day in the knowledge that your role will have a significant positive impact on the lives of others.
We are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils and young people. All applicants will be subject to social media checks and successful applicants to a fully enhanced DBS.
*You’ll work 80% of your contractual hours for 100% of your pay, giving you more time to do the things that make you happy.