At OFG, we work smarter so you can spend more time doing what makes you happy!
How would you like to be paid for five days but only work four*?
Our colleagues’ wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do at OFG, so we’re always looking for new ways to improve everyone’s work/life balance. We’re taking part in a trial of the 4-Day Working Week, meaning that you could be working one day less a week (or equivalent).
4DWW will be rolled out within our school, when we have a full complement of staff, and within the next year – so there’s never been a more exciting time to join us #teamOFG!
Job Title: School Cook
Location: Oak Tree School, Truro
Salary: £19,608 per annum **(This salary is NOT subject to pro-rata and is the full amount before tax)**
Hours: 35 hours per week; Mon/Thurs 7am – 2pm, Tues,/Wed/Fri 7.30am – 2.30pm
Contract Permanent, Term time only
UK applicants only.
Oak Tree School is a friendly and vibrant school with highly committed staff who want the best for all our students ensuring they are given the best education and opportunities possible. Due to recent developments and growth of the school we require new staff to join the team.
About the role
We are looking for a school cook to join our new team at Oak Tree School. This is an exciting opportunity where you will help support our pupils in their daily lives, ensuring they are well fed and offering a variety of food to suit individual needs and requirements.
This is a great opportunity to work as part of a team committed to helping pupils with varied and complex needs. You will oversee all aspects of catering at school, in particular the breakfast and lunch-time meal for pupils and colleagues and a mid-morning snack, in addition to ensuring that hygiene and safety protocols are implemented to the highest standards.
Our Cooks carry out an essential and role to provide meals required by the pupils and young people in our care. You will play an important part in the development of healthy habits and enjoyment of mealtimes for our learners. For many of our pupils, consistency is key, and our Schools Cooks take time to make sure everything is as it should be for a smooth lunchtime service and take pride in ensuring that hygiene and safety protocols are implemented to the highest standards. Quality is always top of our agenda and we pride ourselves on the quality of what we do.
We are looking for a School Cook who shares our vision to build incredible futures by empowering vulnerable young people in the UK, to be happy and to make their way in the world.
- To plan menus for the school with reference to the dietary needs of the students
- To undertake the ordering and monitoring of stocks by date rotation, portion control and quality and in accordance with the budgetary controls set
- To set up and clean down the kitchen and eating areas before and after day-to-day use
- To ensure that necessary preparation is undertaken for the day/weekly demand/needs of the School
- To be observant of the need to minimise waste
- To provide suitable food to students and staff with special dietary requirements
- Check daily any visitor, staff and student mealtime requirements
- To personally observe all measures relating to Health and Safety, hygiene and food hygiene requirements
- To report on any equipment or maintenance requirements
- To prepare and place food orders and to deal with any enquiries and complaints to suppliers
- To ensure that supplies are ordered and are properly checked on delivery and that invoices are accurate
- To ensure all equipment and chemicals are used and handled correctly at all times, in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and COSHH Regulations
- To keep relevant records and reports accurate and up to date
- To respond timely and with flexibility to urgent or last-minute staff/students’ requirements
- To report any defeats, damage, theft, breakages or hazards to relevant staff immediately
- Minimum of 1 year’s small scale catering experience
- Excellent cooking skills
- Good levels of literacy and numeracy
- Up to date qualifications, training and knowledge of relevant legislation and guidance affecting the food industry
Oak Tree School is a specialist provision positioned near the city of Truro in Cornwall. The school provides full-time specialist co-education for up to 135 pupils and young people aged 7 to 16 who experience social, emotional, mental health, communication difficulties and associated challenging behaviours. These pupils and young people often cannot cope, function or achieve within a mainstream environment. The aim is to provide a structured, nurturing approach, with pupils accessing a broad, balanced and engaging curriculum to meet their significant needs.
This opportunity is in Truro which is within commutable distance of Redruth, St Austell and surrounding areas.
We are part of Acorn Education and Care and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Why join Acorn Education & Care?
Your health and wellbeing are important to us, so you’ll get an exceptional reward package including:
- Life Assurance
- Pension scheme with options to increase your contributions
- “Your Wellbeing Matters” – access to a wide range of first-class mental health support services and physical health checks
And a market-leading benefit offering through our Flexible Benefits Platform, Vista, enables you to choose the package that’s right for you, including:
- A wide range of health, wellbeing, and insurance benefits
- 100’s of discount options valid in the UK and abroad
- Cycle to Work Schemes
- Electric Car Purchase Scheme
- Critical illness cover
And that’s not all, we place the outcomes of the pupils and vulnerable young adults in our services at the heart of everything we do, so you’ll wake every day in the knowledge that your role will have a significant positive impact on the lives of others.
We are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils and young people. All applicants will be subject to social media checks and successful applicants to a fully enhanced DBS.
*You’ll work 80% of your contractual hours for 100% of your pay, giving you more time to do the things that make you happy.