School Catering Assistant
How would you like to be paid for five days but only work four*?
Our colleagues’ wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do at OFG, so we’re always looking for new ways to improve everyone’s work/life balance. We’re taking part in a trial of the 4-Day Working Week, meaning that you could be working one day less a week (or equivalent).
4DWW will be rolled out within our school, when we have a full complement of staff, and within the next year – so there’s never been a more exciting time to join us #teamOFG!
Job Title: Catering Assistant
Location: Oak Tree School, Truro, Cornwall.
Hours: 30 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Salary: £15,065.88 per annum **(This salary is NOT subject to pro-rata and is the full amount before tax)**
Contract: Permanent, Term Time only
UK applicants only.
Oak Tree School is a friendly and vibrant school with highly committed staff who want the best for all our students ensuring they are given the best education and opportunities possible. Due to recent developments and growth of the school we require additional staff to join the team.
About the role
To prepare and cook for students and our staff team whilst assisting the manager on the day-to-day management of our Catering services. Assisting in the management and maintenance a high standard of practice and hygiene in accordance with current quality standards, in all aspects of food preparation, which will contribute to the quality of care of each student.
- Safeguard and promote the welfare of pupils and young people
- Work in accordance with professional practice, statutory and legal requirements and the policies of the school
- Assist in the quality of catering provided, working within the financial and operational standards required and maintaining a high level of service
- Assist in food procurement, supplier relationships, stock control and monitoring standards to ensure provision costs are in line with budgetary requirements.
- Ensure that competitive rates are maintained for the provision of services and products and undertake regular benchmarking to ensure value for money objectives are achieved
Oak Tree School is a specialist provision positioned near the city of Truro in Cornwall. The school provides full-time specialist co-education for up to 135 pupils and young people aged 7 to 16 who experience social, emotional, mental health, communication difficulties and associated challenging behaviours. These pupils and young people often cannot cope, function or achieve within a mainstream environment. The aim is to provide a structured, nurturing approach, with pupils accessing a broad, balanced and engaging curriculum to meet their significant needs.
This opportunity is in Truro which is within commutable distance of Redruth, St Austell and surrounding areas.
We are part of Acorn Education and Care and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Why join Acorn Education & Care?
Your health and wellbeing are important to us, so you’ll get an exceptional reward package including:
- Life Assurance
- Pension scheme with options to increase your contributions
- “Your Wellbeing Matters” – access to a wide range of first-class mental health support services and physical health checks
And a market-leading benefit offering through our Flexible Benefits Platform, Vista, enables you to choose the package that’s right for you, including:
- A wide range of health, wellbeing, and insurance benefits
- 100’s of discount options valid in the UK and abroad
- Cycle to Work Schemes
- Electric Car Purchase Scheme
- Critical illness cover
And that’s not all, we place the outcomes of the pupils and vulnerable young adults in our services at the heart of everything we do, so you’ll wake every day in the knowledge that your role will have a significant positive impact on the lives of others.
We are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils and young people. All applicants will be subject to social media checks and successful applicants to a fully enhanced DBS.
*You’ll work 80% of your contractual hours for 100% of your pay, giving you more time to do the things that make you happy.